Filipino

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Quotable Quotes

"I think Filipinos have a general disposition to be service-oriented."

-- Albert, a trainer in the services industry, talking about his last business trip to Manila where he trained some managers for an international certification course.

"Tinanggal nila lahat ng mga local tapos kaming mga Pinoy lang natira. Kami lang daw kasi yung nagtatrabaho eh, tamad yung iba."

-- From a group of Pinoys I met at a bus terminal. They work as shipbuilders and naval architects in a different city.

"You should do it now. You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out, there'll be other opportunities to do it again in the future."

-- Me, to myself. About something.

"Bata ka pa naman eh."

-- Lots and lots of people, when talking about plans for the future. Am I really that young? I feel like I'm behind the pack!

"Are you from Myanmar? Vietnam?"

-- About a dozen strangers, usually their first question when they talk to me. C'mon, Myanmar? For real?

"Indonesia? Thailand?"

-- The same dozen strangers, after I say "No" to their first question. Have they ever heard of the Philippines? Are all chinky-eyed brown men from Indochina?

"So do you study here?"

-- The same dozen strangers, after finding out from which country I'm really from. I should really attempt to look more like a working professional more often.

No comments: