Filipino

Monday, December 31, 2007

May It Be Happy, Seriously

Most of us take for granted the message of that simple greeting. "Happy New Year". It would be normal, of course, to just say it to everyone you see at this time of year as it is the only appropriate time to say it. But if we think about it, it's message is meant to be driven down to the heart of whom the greeting is addressed to because you're wishing an entire year of happiness to a person. And that's something because not everyone is able to get that. It's not just "have a good day" or "see you soon". It's happiness. For one.whole.year.

Yes, this is a year-end reflection.

In a few minutes I'll be leaving to meet up with some friends for a countdown event somewhere in the city. It's my first New Year's Eve here and I'm very much eager to have a nice time. Hopefully we all do.

2007 is the first full calendar year I've ever spent abroad and it will definitely go down in my memory as a fantastic one. It really has been. I'd describe it as a year of maturity, of traveling, of independence, of personal accomplishments, of laying foundations, of looking forward. Like any great year it felt short. And I'm glad it has been. Because it means that I'm blessed enough to be rewarded with such a happy life, in spite of many things.

Right now I wait in silent anticipation for the unknowns of 2008. I'm sure it will bring things we'd rather not experience in our lives, and moments we'd want to last forever. There will be times of self-induced soul searching, or unstoppable laughter, of anxiety and hurt, and of love -- in its many forms. And I hope that exactly a year from now, I will again reflect on how the year has been so short. But how fantastic it has also been, just like 2007. And how happy I was.

Happy New Year, seriously. Happy.

No comments: