Filipino

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Work And Recession Realities

Our mother company just announced that they're laying off 9,500 employees in our U.S. and in other sites in the Americas. Costs are simply getting too high, business has not been good, and competition very fierce.

Today I get a mail that our company is closing down our U.S. data centre, one of only three globally. I work in one of those data centres, thankfully not the one in the U.S.

A few days ago I found out that we're absorbing some of our operations in Australia. Meaning, the guys down under will soon be losing their jobs.

Last week, one of the high profile hotshot bosses got booted out of the company. And you'd think people like them are never vulnerable.

Tomorrow the entire company will be having an "All Hands" meeting where the direction for our division will be laid out. That should be interesting.

Wow. And, wild.

No, I'm not losing my job. I don't think so, at least. Being in a more "affordable" regional centre has its advantages. I know these lay offs should be expected and are natural with any economic downturn. I wasn't that bad an economics student to not know that. But working in a company that is actually getting affected by this economic slowdown puts things in a rather different perspective.

It simply feels more real.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news for Pinas-based Pinoys: the Philippines is one of the 12 non-advance and/or emerging countries in Asia projected by the IMF (September, 2008) that will increase their real GDP growth rates, if not at least maintain them, next year. Malaysia included (so don't you worry, he he) as well as Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Of course the cynical me rationalizes the projected growth for the Philippines thus: if you hit rock bottom, there is no other way but up. Kaya uwi na kayo sa December para may inflow ang economy natin! =D

Ben-Ariel said...

Hi Chona,

Oh cool. That is nice to know. I share your cynical point of view with that little tidbit. =D

Oo, uuwi na talaga ako this December at two years na ako hindi nag Pasko sa Pilipinas. But I can't promise lots of "inflow" when I get home though at kuripot pa rin ako. Haha. I will, however, set aside a budget for all the yoga classes I plan to attend all around the city. :)