Filipino

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lifestyle Changes

Just finished night patrol. My brothers and I now take turns sleeping in our parent's room at night to be 'bantay' for Dad. His sleeping pattern is weird. He doesn't even know if he wants to sleep or not. He wakes up every 10 minutes now and then to take a walk around the room just to go back to bed and lie down again. He pees more than 3 times and would sometimes need help in finding the toilet. Alzheimer's. That's life.

***

Yesterday morning as I got down from the bus at Edsa corner Ayala, I witnessed a man slash snatcher get beaten up. Initially it was just the MMDA who got hold of him. However, when the crowd got a little bigger, random men started taking turns beating up the man. It's a strange-funny-sad sight to see while you're walking on your way to work. Man gets beaten up. Tinderas leaving their goods to watch. Makati workforce people stopping for a few minutes to watch. Random cellphone videos recording the whole thing. Now that's some weird morning show for you.

***

Due to the need for me to maximize my time at home, I haven't been going to boxing training nor yoga lately. It sucks but that's how it is. Thus, I recently thought of an ingenious way of maintaining the fitness lifestyle that you want without compromising family duties: if you can't go to the gym, then bring the gym to you. But I'm not talking about home exercise equipment. Instead of going to the gym, I now ask my boxing trainer to come to my house and we train there! How incredibly efficient. He brings with him his punch mitts and I train right there on the street. Trust me, for anyone out there who does boxing, training on the street in the cool breeze we're having right now is such a wonderful experience. It helps that my neighbor trains too so he joins me and there's more 'energy' while training. Now if only I get myself some punching bags and speed ball. There is no excuse to live an unhealthy lifestyle.

6 comments:

R. said...

I'm learning so much from your Alzheimer's experience. My Mom's bro is still in his early stages of it, sad thing, the poor guy doesn't have a family so you could only guess who'll take care of him.
••
"if you can't go to the gym, then bring the gym to you." → Panalo to Ben. Hahaa! I agree. I'm doing Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred now. Ikaw ang mas astig, boxing trainer goes to your house. Nice!

Ben-Ariel said...

RUSS: It's super full blown lang talaga now that we all really have to work around my Dad's needs. I rarely get to go on spontaneous night outs na nga eh but it's all good. I hope your tito is doing OK. In case he wants a new neurologist, ours is Dr. Dasig at Makati Med.

Re: fitness, I'll check out the program you're doing. :) I'm open to lots of ideas right now. Major diet ako sa office baon ko. I gave specific 'nutritional' instructions to our helper who prepares my baon. Hehehe. Boxing at home is so nice!

Unknown said...

Ey Ben, it's kindah depressing really to see such violence in the city. It's like everyone's just waiting for that right opportunity to pour out their anger and frustrations. For a Catholic country such as ours, one can't help but wonder... whatever happened to the spiritual teachings?

re fitness: it's good that you're keeping yourself active. Get a heart rate monitor if you're serious about training. That will help you train more efficiently. If your mobile phone is also capable of uploading softwares, go get a pedometer software for your phone and try to aim for 10k steps a day.

Did you meet Janet last year in Phuket? She's in Thailand now and went to see Julie. Balik tayo dun. :-)
Cheers.

Ben-Ariel said...

JON: Long time!! I keep on thinking about the next time I'll ever attend your class tapos papagalitan mo ako because I still CAN'T bind on Marich D. Ack! Lag lang practice ko ng konti ngayon but it's still there :)

Yeah, it was a bit saddening to witness violence while other people seemed to think it's a normal thing.

Oo nga eh, I've been doing some running too and I really, really need to get that heart rate monitor na talaga. Soon! Unfortunately, my mobile phone is too simple but I'll check it out too.

Hmm.. I think I met Janet but I just can't recall the face. Game ako bumalik ng Phuket! Hehe.

joei ♥ said...

your trainer goes to your house na? big time! ;) how much does he charge you?

sigh. i really need to follow you and russ na and make (BIG) lifestyle changes. not getting any younger!

Ben-Ariel said...

JOEI: Hehe, hindi naman big time. I've just known him since around 2006 so ok na lang sa kanya na pumunta sa house ko. He doesn't charge me a specific amount actually. Bahala na lang daw ako. I base it na lang on how much he would normally gets in a day and the intensity of training we do for that day.