I recently found out that three of my former classmates in Spanish class will soon be flying to Madrid, Spain to take up their post grad studies. One will be taking up a Doctorate in Molecular Biology (I'm sorry, highest level siya), one will be taking up Masters in Human Resources, and the other Masters in Bioethics.
I feel very, very happy for all of them. Really, I do. A jealous kind of happiness if there's such a term though. At the time when I left for Malaysia, we had been classmates for two years and a half already and we all dreamed, together, to study in Spain. At the back of our minds, we all desired to go there for further studies especially since studying at Instituto Cervantes de Manila provided easier access and support that you would need to get scholarships. Plus the fact that the only chance we had of ever studying abroad would be through a scholarship since we simply didn't have the money to do otherwise.
For over two years, we would go to our Spanish class every Tuesday and Thursday for three hours per day attempting to learn a different language. Recitations would be nosebleed moments and you'll have a drop of sweat on your forehead after reciting. And we'd all laugh about it afterwards at Chowking.
I ended my studies there a few levels before graduation while they've all graduated and completed the entire course at Instituto. Now, I find out that they're off to Spain. Sigh. They're my good friends and I know how much this means to them. But I can't help but feel that it's something that I should be sharing with them right now. That I should be joining them too in this potentially life-changing journey to study in Europe for two years for free.
I feel envious whenever I think that if I had stayed in Manila and continued my Spanish studies there, I probably would have gotten that scholarship as well. And I probably would be processing my papers now and will be flying together with them to Spain, the destination that has been close to an obsession. My doctor friend, who's part of the three, messaged me saying that her bosses at her clinic is forcing her not to leave. She replied to them saying that the only thing that'll stop her is if Spain gets erased from the map. If I got accepted, I would share the same sentiments.
Sigh. Choices, choices. Panalo talaga ang pagiging twenty-something. Nevertheless, this news fires me up even more to chase certain things in my life I've had my eyes on for years. Jealousy can be good sometimes.
I feel very, very happy for all of them. Really, I do. A jealous kind of happiness if there's such a term though. At the time when I left for Malaysia, we had been classmates for two years and a half already and we all dreamed, together, to study in Spain. At the back of our minds, we all desired to go there for further studies especially since studying at Instituto Cervantes de Manila provided easier access and support that you would need to get scholarships. Plus the fact that the only chance we had of ever studying abroad would be through a scholarship since we simply didn't have the money to do otherwise.
For over two years, we would go to our Spanish class every Tuesday and Thursday for three hours per day attempting to learn a different language. Recitations would be nosebleed moments and you'll have a drop of sweat on your forehead after reciting. And we'd all laugh about it afterwards at Chowking.
I ended my studies there a few levels before graduation while they've all graduated and completed the entire course at Instituto. Now, I find out that they're off to Spain. Sigh. They're my good friends and I know how much this means to them. But I can't help but feel that it's something that I should be sharing with them right now. That I should be joining them too in this potentially life-changing journey to study in Europe for two years for free.
I feel envious whenever I think that if I had stayed in Manila and continued my Spanish studies there, I probably would have gotten that scholarship as well. And I probably would be processing my papers now and will be flying together with them to Spain, the destination that has been close to an obsession. My doctor friend, who's part of the three, messaged me saying that her bosses at her clinic is forcing her not to leave. She replied to them saying that the only thing that'll stop her is if Spain gets erased from the map. If I got accepted, I would share the same sentiments.
Sigh. Choices, choices. Panalo talaga ang pagiging twenty-something. Nevertheless, this news fires me up even more to chase certain things in my life I've had my eyes on for years. Jealousy can be good sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment