Filipino

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Halu-halo v2.0

NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK. Maybe because I work in IT. Maybe because I'm almost finished with The World Is Flat. But I really, really think the government should construct the broadband network. I can't say I know all the details about it right now with these missing contracts and all the typical stories you hear related to large government projects but I think the idea is just fantastic.

GROSS. I was in the public toilet of the bus terminal recently. I saw this guy filling up an empty Coke bottle with water... using... uhm... the urinal. He was holding on the flush. Sana may gripo diba?

GROSS, AGAIN. I was once working at night and went to the pantry to get some water (through the water dispenser, just to be clear). A colleague of mine was washing his hands when I entered. I filled up my container with water and took some biscuits. Upon leaving the pantry, the other guy had his feet up on the sink. He decided to wash his feet too. Well, at least I know he's hygienic.

I THOUGHT ABOUT IT. The guy is Muslim (or is it Moslem?) and I think he was just washing his hands and feet because he was about to pray. During work at night they sometimes just lay down a carpet in a secluded area of the office and start praying. As in kneel down and bow your head type of praying.

TO PARENTS, THROW AWAY YOUR TV SETS. I've been reading more and more books ever since I got here. Ever since I started living without a TV set at home. People often ask me why I don't buy one since it's not too expensive anyway. I just say that I won't use it often, so why bother? I think about this when I'm in bookstores. I see these books that I want to buy and I get so excited. It would probably be the same reaction if I saw that Nike was 70% off. Once, the bookstore was on sale and they had this promo in which you're given a 20% discount on two books as long as you buy them together. And if you buy another book, you also get the third one with the same discount. I think about how I was never really like this before and I attribute the change to the absence of a TV set at home.

No comments: