Yes, that's the photo I submitted. Yes, I know it's not that good. It's entitled "Vanilla Sky". But let me explain.
The competition was open to all employees. The theme was "Yellow, Red, Grey" -- the company colors. For the initial screening, they asked to submit three photos and then a panel of judges selected fifty photos that would be part of the final stage of judging.
I took this photo when I went to the beach here at the Perhentian Islands. Now, this photo wasn't my favorite. I thought that another photo I submitted would be selected. But what the heck, I was glad enough that one of them got into the finals. Now here's the thing, for the top three photos, the criterion of judging was:
"The photo that gets the most number of votes, wins"
Haha. Bad move, on the judges part at least.
I hesitated at first. But five years of solid experience in convincing ten thousand students to vote for your candidates in a Student Council election got the best of me. So a day before the last day of voting, I sent out an email to certain sub-groups in the company -- The Pinoys, The Team, and Others. I was very subtle with them because I never actually told anyone "vote for my photo even if you don't like it dammit!". Again, experience in student elections really teaches you the subtleties involved.
Not surprisingly, we get this e-mail a few days after.
The competition was open to all employees. The theme was "Yellow, Red, Grey" -- the company colors. For the initial screening, they asked to submit three photos and then a panel of judges selected fifty photos that would be part of the final stage of judging.
I took this photo when I went to the beach here at the Perhentian Islands. Now, this photo wasn't my favorite. I thought that another photo I submitted would be selected. But what the heck, I was glad enough that one of them got into the finals. Now here's the thing, for the top three photos, the criterion of judging was:
"The photo that gets the most number of votes, wins"
Haha. Bad move, on the judges part at least.
I hesitated at first. But five years of solid experience in convincing ten thousand students to vote for your candidates in a Student Council election got the best of me. So a day before the last day of voting, I sent out an email to certain sub-groups in the company -- The Pinoys, The Team, and Others. I was very subtle with them because I never actually told anyone "vote for my photo even if you don't like it dammit!". Again, experience in student elections really teaches you the subtleties involved.
Not surprisingly, we get this e-mail a few days after.
Winner. First prize, no less. Haha.
I've been tempted to get the complete voter's statistics to make an analysis just like the old days. Pero hindi naman ganun ka-kapal mukha ko. They haven't announced what the prizes will be but there'll be an awards ceremony soon.
So there, I've officially won a photography competition. I wanted to vote for some other guy's photo, but I obviously didn't. In any case, that photo didn't win.
Gosh, I've been incredibly lucky this past few weeks. No kidding. I mean INCREDIBLY lucky. It's crazy! Breathe, breathe. I won two other awards but I won't say here so as not to feed my ego. I'm trying to be more humble. (Oh I can hear the laughs right now).
I've been tempted to get the complete voter's statistics to make an analysis just like the old days. Pero hindi naman ganun ka-kapal mukha ko. They haven't announced what the prizes will be but there'll be an awards ceremony soon.
So there, I've officially won a photography competition. I wanted to vote for some other guy's photo, but I obviously didn't. In any case, that photo didn't win.
Gosh, I've been incredibly lucky this past few weeks. No kidding. I mean INCREDIBLY lucky. It's crazy! Breathe, breathe. I won two other awards but I won't say here so as not to feed my ego. I'm trying to be more humble. (Oh I can hear the laughs right now).


No comments:
Post a Comment