After a few mild 'episodes' since the year began and some rather uneventful days, I've decided to go home this March. March 19 to April 1 to be specific. Holy Week in Manila! Of course I took it as a sign that Cebu Pacific suddenly had a seat-sale at the exact time when I wanted to do something new or exciting.
I love budget airlines. I really do. That pair of Nike sneakers I've been drooling over since December is even more expensive than the flight I just booked.
I also now know why I've been having all these episodes. Or basically moments (or days) of emotional weirdness. I'm on drugs! Yes, and it explains a whole lot.
A few months ago I went to a dermatologist because I got annoyed by the fact that my face looked like I had just entered puberty. That bad. He gave me some face products, took a blood sample, and gave me this drug called Roaccutane that I'm supposed to take for a five-month period. He explained to me that it was a powerful drug and that it's a vitamin A derivative that targets the glands that produce all the fugliness going around.
A little random Googling recently and look what I found:
"The UK Medical Control Agency (MCA) released figures back in February 2001 stating that since the introduction of the drug in 1982, 1,795 adverse reactions have been recorded on their database, of which 23 were fatal, 14 being actual suicides. More than 200 of the adverse reactions were psychiatric with 20 reports of suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts. There were 80 reports of depression and 13 reports of mood swings.
Other side effects (listed on the web site of Roche, Roaccutane's manufacturer) include depression, psychosis, acute pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and vision and hearing impairment. And in 1990, the FDA estimated that since the drug's introduction in 1982, there had been 11,000 to 13,000 Roaccutane-related abortions, and 900 to 1,100 Roaccutane-related birth defects."
Suicide? Depression? Psychosis? No bloody wonder. I even have blog posts to prove it, all posted after I started taking the drug. This, this, and this.
Well as for the drug itself, I think it's just fantastic. I'd endorse this wonderpill on those home TV shopping channels. I have two more months to go before I can start becoming chemically balanced, so to speak. Right in time for my trip back to Manila.
I love budget airlines. I really do. That pair of Nike sneakers I've been drooling over since December is even more expensive than the flight I just booked.
I also now know why I've been having all these episodes. Or basically moments (or days) of emotional weirdness. I'm on drugs! Yes, and it explains a whole lot.
A few months ago I went to a dermatologist because I got annoyed by the fact that my face looked like I had just entered puberty. That bad. He gave me some face products, took a blood sample, and gave me this drug called Roaccutane that I'm supposed to take for a five-month period. He explained to me that it was a powerful drug and that it's a vitamin A derivative that targets the glands that produce all the fugliness going around.
A little random Googling recently and look what I found:
"The UK Medical Control Agency (MCA) released figures back in February 2001 stating that since the introduction of the drug in 1982, 1,795 adverse reactions have been recorded on their database, of which 23 were fatal, 14 being actual suicides. More than 200 of the adverse reactions were psychiatric with 20 reports of suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts. There were 80 reports of depression and 13 reports of mood swings.
Other side effects (listed on the web site of Roche, Roaccutane's manufacturer) include depression, psychosis, acute pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease and vision and hearing impairment. And in 1990, the FDA estimated that since the drug's introduction in 1982, there had been 11,000 to 13,000 Roaccutane-related abortions, and 900 to 1,100 Roaccutane-related birth defects."
Suicide? Depression? Psychosis? No bloody wonder. I even have blog posts to prove it, all posted after I started taking the drug. This, this, and this.
Well as for the drug itself, I think it's just fantastic. I'd endorse this wonderpill on those home TV shopping channels. I have two more months to go before I can start becoming chemically balanced, so to speak. Right in time for my trip back to Manila.
No comments:
Post a Comment