That the news was about to come soon was expected. He was already entering his 80's when I left high school. But dammit, I still can't take it. I type this now with a mix of emotions not simply for a man who lived but for a man who lived such a great life.
He was this huge figure in white. Walking around with a smile with such sincerity you rarely see. Like happiness and gentleness passing you by on a street. He was warmth surrounded by kids who simply played around in his office. He was a collection of different memories from childhood. The type you would always want to remember. To never forget. He was many, many things to many, many people.
For someone who arrived in Philippines long before any of us were born, incarcerated during the war, established the most important school in Bacolod, and various other things we normal people will never experience in our lives, he remained to be accessible to everyone. He managed to be a part of everyone. He was one of those few who truly touched everyone's life.
I think that's just plain awesome.
Goodbye Brother Felix. The word 'pogi' only really meant something when you said it. And it amazes me how you remembered my name even if you had no reason to. I only got your stampita once since my birthday is during the summer but that's OK. I have a whole lot of 'you' in me and in a lot of other people to remember you by for a long, long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment