1.) Get a good job in an industry I can see myself working in for a long time. Somewhere I know I can grow in. Because I don't like looking for a job. Ugh. The thought of job hunting just makes me feel... *cringe*. I have decided realized that I'm not built for IT. It's simply not where my strength lies. So I'll probably not go back there unless the price is right the offer is really, really good.
Choices so far:
a.) Something research related. Like market research, business strategy, etc. I may have been academically inept on paper back in college (ergo, my transcript of records has a lot of zeroes...) but I really, really love research.
b.) Foreign Service. And thus will begin my journey in the big, bad world of government service.
c.) Something typically corporate. Like in one of those business services companies I hear are located everywhere at The Fort and Makati. Part of my work now is in business services anyway.
d.) Call Centre. Well, as long as I'm not an agent anymore. It'll be really easy to get a job here for sure. This doesn't excite me at all though, it's just realistic.
2.) Travel around the country. Focus on places that require a plane ride. Finally step foot in Boracay. Yes, I've never been there. Go to Coron, Palawan. End my Mindanao-virginity. I've been to every single country in Southeast Asia except Brunei and Myanmar (ang feeling ko ba?), so it would definitely be unfair if I don't get my ass around the country.
3.) Boxing and Yoga. I'll stop here. I may not be able to stop writing if I talk about how excited I am at the thought that these two disciplines will be incredibly accessible once I get home... and while I'm unemployed! All that free time! Macho na ako one month pa lang! OK, definitely feeling.
4.) Have more intense conversations with God. Focus on more and not just once a quarter.
5.) Act/look more like my age. I'm turning 26 years old this year and strangers here still ask me if I'm still a student! I know I should treat it as a compliment. But maybe if I'm 35! Primary motivation: It won't help in my job hunting if the hiring managers think that I look like a fresh graduate that with no relevant experience and knows zilch about leadership and management. Thus, this is more of an external effort. I already know for a fact that I'm more mature than most people my age so it's not like I'll really be "acting" out something. Just make that maturity manifest more.
6.)Spend ridiculous amounts of money on my photography obssession, new clothes, shoes, and vanity products If I must spend, spend right. Spend smart. But always keep in mind, save money first before spending. Recession eh.
You know what, 2009 will be a year of big, life-defining changes for me. Changes which I cannot control. Some that will challenge me to my very core. It's already turning out to be my toughest yet.Tougher than when I was forced to play basketball in my college P.E. class But seriously. Almost every aspect of my personal and professional life will be tested this year. It's scary. It's daunting. It's strange how I arrived in this kind of situation after having such as good run these past few years. Sigh. Life.
Choices so far:
a.) Something research related. Like market research, business strategy, etc. I may have been academically inept on paper back in college (ergo, my transcript of records has a lot of zeroes...) but I really, really love research.
b.) Foreign Service. And thus will begin my journey in the big, bad world of government service.
c.) Something typically corporate. Like in one of those business services companies I hear are located everywhere at The Fort and Makati. Part of my work now is in business services anyway.
d.) Call Centre. Well, as long as I'm not an agent anymore. It'll be really easy to get a job here for sure. This doesn't excite me at all though, it's just realistic.
2.) Travel around the country. Focus on places that require a plane ride. Finally step foot in Boracay. Yes, I've never been there. Go to Coron, Palawan. End my Mindanao-virginity. I've been to every single country in Southeast Asia except Brunei and Myanmar (ang feeling ko ba?), so it would definitely be unfair if I don't get my ass around the country.
3.) Boxing and Yoga. I'll stop here. I may not be able to stop writing if I talk about how excited I am at the thought that these two disciplines will be incredibly accessible once I get home... and while I'm unemployed! All that free time! Macho na ako one month pa lang! OK, definitely feeling.
4.) Have more intense conversations with God. Focus on more and not just once a quarter.
5.) Act/look more like my age. I'm turning 26 years old this year and strangers here still ask me if I'm still a student! I know I should treat it as a compliment. But maybe if I'm 35! Primary motivation: It won't help in my job hunting if the hiring managers think that I look like a fresh graduate that with no relevant experience and knows zilch about leadership and management. Thus, this is more of an external effort. I already know for a fact that I'm more mature than most people my age so it's not like I'll really be "acting" out something. Just make that maturity manifest more.
6.)
You know what, 2009 will be a year of big, life-defining changes for me. Changes which I cannot control. Some that will challenge me to my very core. It's already turning out to be my toughest yet.
8 comments:
Hi Ben,
Do you know that there are three of us yogis who recently left our jobs? Plus you, that makes four. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a connection between yoga and being employed/unemployed.
I like ALL your goals, hope you achieve them all. Do you know that I've never been to Boracay either? It seems I've been everywhere but there--I didn't like how commercialized it's become but am now curious to go.
Don't worry, from my experience in the financial community it's the persistent ones--whether companies or individuals--that thrive and survive during recession. The key, I believe is to be innovative, find a niche, or invest in what you really, really feel for.
I've been getting more sleep, waking up late, and in the middle of the day find myself staring into space and thinking about the future too. WHAT DID I JUST LET GO OF??? Patay!
Hi Ben and Mel,
Uy, who's the other one who recently resigned? He he. You know what, right after my college graduation was presidential election, so everything was all up in the air--may mag hire kaya sa akin, I wondered. Then I resigned from my full time job during the Asian financial crisis (I was then your age, Ben, he he, baka magic age yan?). Then again last year when crisis hit the globe. I've always believed that unless I let go, I wouldn't be able to move on. I hope the Universe won't feel that I am always testing its kindness, he he.
There's one scene in Indiana Jones (yata? first of its series?) where a character was supposed to cross from one cliff to another without bridge or anything...just space. Only when the character, out of faith (bahala na si batman type), took the first step did the solid path between the cliffs appeared.
To you, brave souls, cheers! =D
MEL:
Ooohhh... the yogis are all jobless! Mga "enlightened" minds kasi. Ha ha.
I'm keeping my goals more realistic this time. I made a similar list for 2008 but some of the things I wrote there were just too much.
Haaay. If I get through this job hunting hurdle, OK na ako for the rest of the year I think. Hopefully. I haven't even started looking! Yikes!
Exciting naman! :) I want to stare into space also after waking up late. Kahit one month lang. He he.
CHONA:
Magic age? Sana magical nga! My friends call it a quarter life crisis. Ha ha. Though feeling ko hindi pa naman ako crisis... quarter life issues lang.
I know that scene. In fact, I LOVE that scene. Sa India Jones Last Crusade 'yan. :) Thanks Chona!
Write a book. Make money. Write a better book. Make more money. Numbskull.
BEN PAUL:
Lose 80 pounds first and I'll write a book.
How about NGO work? Research and travel yan. I may be able to hook you up. :) Kita na lang tayo minsan pag-uwi mo.
PATRICK:
Pwede! OK, usap tayo pag uwi ko.
Post a Comment