OK. Since I don't get to see Kris Aquino's face on TV every two minutes anymore, I think I'm ready to blog about this whole Cory magic.
Take a look at that video above in which Lea Salonga passionately sings 'Bayan Ko'. There are two types of generations to this song. One that sings it as a sign of revolution, and one that sings it as a sign of commemoration. I'm part of the latter generation.
Having been born during the year that Ninoy died, I was way too young to experience EDSA 1 nor understand what it meant when Cory ran against Marcos. I was even still too young to know Cory while she was President or whatever she did while she was in office. The first President whom I really remember is Ramos and that was already in the mid-90's. So when I found myself shedding a tear for Cory on the weekend that she died, I asked myself why I felt so affected.
Sigh.
Above all, I believe it was simply what she represented. The kind of leader that we wish we'd always have. In spite of the many missed opportunities during her presidency, she had the character that has yet to be embodied by anyone who has led the country in Malacanang.
A whole lot has been said about Cory after her death so whatever I say here would just be a repetition of what these people have said. I'd hate to be redundant. Besides, they said it more eloquently.

Strangely enough, I found myself missing two very good opportunities to visit Cory's remains at the Manila Cathedral. A friend could have let me in without lining up for five hours outside. After I attended a service for Cory Aquino in my former university, De La Salle, an administrator invited me to join them during the funeral as well. However, this and that
What I feel so unsure about right now though is all the talk about Noynoy running for President. Part of me says yes, part of me says no. I'm worried that the country is just riding on all the post-Cory emotion and is not being objective about this possible candidacy. Then again, I haven't researched much on Noynoy and his background in public service. We'll see. I think all these events just make things more exciting for the elections next year. Can't wait.
3 comments:
Ben, you're affected because somehow you were touched by Cory. And everything that we saw on TV, super overwhelming talaga. I keep telling Duart na ang lakas ni Pres. Cory sa taas -- imagine an entire nation praying for her every single day. I'm sure, she'll go straight to heaven.
Cory's term wasn't the glory days of our country, but we do have to thank her for the democracy that we're enjoying right now. If it weren't for this democracy, we wouldn't be blogging right now... No TV programs that can freely spoof public figures... and the list goes on.
As I said in my Cory entry in my blog, what I liked about her was that she showed us the ideal way of how the Presidency should be carried -- and most important of all things, she stepped down when she had to & properly turned over the presidency to her lawful successor.
PS.
Are you serious? You were born in 1983? You should get on Twitter. You'll have a good experience because a lot of Zobel peeps are there.Ü
Russ! I'm still not sure with Twitter. I'm part of too many online sites na that I think it's getting crazy! Hehe. But knowing myself, I'll probably join eventually. Haha!
Hahaa. Will wait for that day.
Post a Comment