Filipino

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Goodbye To Mountaineering (For Now)

For someone who is a little more active than most people, I get sick a lot. This is the second time I've had fever in three months. It's annoying. Then again, yesterday I went wall climbing then went straight to boxing training afterward. Can't really blame my body for giving up sometimes. Today has been the rainiest day ever since I got back here and all I did was stay at home. Look at the gray sky that didn't change in color since I woke up until it became all dark. Listen to the sound of rain. The whole damn day. And to think I could have stayed at the mall watching Harry Potter 6 over and over again. I hate do not like this.

Considering that my unemployed life has been relatively uneventful which is really why I don't get to blog anymore, I shall just stick to what this blog has really been about ever since and talk about myself.


Three weeks ago, I thought I had found another possible passion in mountaineering. I joined AMCI, a 26 year old mountaineering club and started training with them. They are very organized and have a specific training program that I loved. They prepare you first through lots of physical exercise like 4km runs and going up stairs with weights on your backpacks. During these trainings, they insert lectures on mountaineering ethics, history, etc. They will eventually teach you the skills like tent pitching, stove operation and all that. The trainers are all triathletes and professional runners who are also members of AMCI so it was really inspiring for me to join. The training will last until October and will involve 5 mountains and a 15 km run before getting inducted into the club.

After two weeks of training with them at Valero during Wednesdays and Ultra on Sundays, I decided to stop and not push through with it. Inasmuch as I think this is something very much worthwhile, I know that I need to focus on job hunting and save the money I have in the meantime. Mountaineering requires some equipment that aren't that cheap, like Php 8,000 for a backpack. Besides, committing to this until October while looking for a job won't be easy. So there. Story of the week. Hopefully I can join again next year.

I also joined the Run For Home Globe Run this Sunday at Fort Bonifacio. It will be my first official 10 km run. I'd be jumping for joy but since I have fever now my chances of even pushing through with that run may not be as feasible as a few days ago. Darn. We'll see.

3 comments:

Russ said...

You crack me up Ben. Of course this is your blog, so go... It's okay to write stuff about yourself.Ü

---
What were you thinking? Climbing then straight to boxing? Are you insane? Hahaha. Hey you know what Ben? When I started exercising too, I've been sick four times in four months. Yeah, I was ill last year, but I get sick regularly now. How weird. I wonder if there's a direct relatioship.Ö

---
Aba! 10KM na ang tinatakbo mo ngayon. Shet! Nanliit ako ha. I was so happy pa naman with my 6.4KM today. Hahaha.

---
Where have you gone mountain climbing so far?
We should always remind ourselves that Health is Wealth. Take care of yourself Ben.

Ben-Ariel said...

My body still aches from the wall climbing! That's really tough stuff.

I think there's a direct relationship. Whenever I decide to 'level up' in terms of training or exercise, my body shuts down eventually. I don't think naman nabibigla siya. Weird.

I'm not ready for the 10km promise! Last time I ran was nung Tuesday pa so I'm sure kulelat ako this Sunday!

We were supposed to have our first climb this weekend kaso I backed out na even before I commit to the pre-climb preparations. They give you stuff to do kasi before the climb so I stopped na lang. Sigh. Next year I imagine I'll be joining again.

Health is definitely wealth! =D

Russ said...

Oh my gulay. We should research on that direct relationship. I'm scheduled to change my routine in a few days because of fear that I might reach that much-dreaded plateau.

Hey Ben I have a friend, former supplier when I was still at Landco who organizes mountain climbing and stuff. He's been inviting me to join his group, but I don't think I am physically prepared for it. Not yet. His trips are not just here in the Philippines. He recently did something in Asia. I can introduce you to him if you're dead serious with climbing.

I hope you're feeling way better. Rest up, the weather's perfect for it.Ü