Filipino

Friday, October 23, 2009

I Will Miss Unemployment

This morning I woke up at 5:00am, had my daily cup of hot Nesvita while I sat on the sidewalk outside our house taking in the cool breeze. Only a few things can ever be more relaxing. By 6:00am I went out for a run around the village and noticed that there were some new faces doing their morning run. That made me smile. I arrived home an hour after, took a warm bath, then went to Makati to catch the 9:00am yoga class at Bliss Yoga. I attended two awesome classes which finished at 12:00nn. Practice was, well, blissful. I then took the bus home in time for lunch with my parents. I took another bath, went online, then took a nap. I woke up after an hour and decided to skip boxing class and watch 500 Days of Summer instead at the nearby mall. I just got home from the mall and I'm now just waiting my current favorite TV show before I head off to sleep after having yet another laid back day.

You know what, I will miss unemployment.

Unemployment suits me. It's the kind of lifestyle that I wish I can have forever longer (assuming I have money saved up). People have told me before that after being jobless for just a month, you'll get bored right away. Not in my case. I've been unemployed for five months and I've never once been bored. Even if I just stay at home, I don't feel bored. Strange in a way but I sometimes find doing nothing as fun.

Unfortunately, life reminds me to be practical and getting a job is something of a need at this point in time. So a week and a half ago, I signed an employment contract. I will start work some time in November.

Joblessness for me will now soon end. Sigh. I will no longer be a statistic. Weekends will soon feel like weekends rather than just any other day. I will soon worry about not having enough 'me' time. I will soon have to juggle a busy schedule simply to have that work-life balance I place importance on. I will soon get annoyed about being on the road at rush hour every single day. I will soon get frustrated that I can't watch a movie after lunch. Or go to yoga in the morning. Or boxing in the afternoon. Double sigh.

I know that life has been good to me and I'm very thankful for that. But until that time when I'll have to go to work, I will cherish the days when I get to sip a nice hot drink on a cold morning and think about how privileged I am to be unemployed.

3 comments:

R. said...

Okay. I'm weird too. I swear Ben, naiyak ako sa post mo ─ as in! I'm serious. I'll come back to explain why or it can be separate blog entry. I'll let you know when it's up, just waiting for the right moment.

I'm happy & sad for you at the same time Benny. I bet you know why I'm happy for you. You can guess why I'm sad for you. While I still don't have work, let me continue to live the bum life for you when you start working.Ü God is good.

Ben-Ariel said...

Russ! Aww, thanks. I'm generally happy of course but yeah, it's kind of sad rin to think that I'll have to change lifestyles again soon. Weird how we're viewing our bum-ness as something good rather than a negative thing. Haha. Live the bum life more while you can! :)

R. said...

I never saw bum-ness as it a bad thing. Well maybe the two of us are strange. When the day comes that I'd be back at work, I'd miss so many things too.