After a few failed attempts to join an organized run, I finally got myself to run in the adidas King of the Road at Bonifacio Global City. Though this was my first run, I decided to take the bold step and run the 10km race right away. It was a risk since my regular runs around the village have never reached 10kms and I was an absolute newbie to these organized runs. However, the day turned out to be better than I expected.
The hours leading to the race didn't go so well for me so I lowered my expectations in terms of my performance. To begin with, I slept at 1am the day of the race and woke up at 4.30am to begin hydration and some food intake. Even if I stayed at my sister's place at Fort Bonifacio, I still arrived at the race venue just 30 minutes before the 10km race started. I felt so disoriented when I got there since I had no idea where I should go. It didn't help that every one decided to wear the bright yellow singlet provided by adidas. When I finally managed to get to the very back of the 10km racers, I realized that I had not stretched yet. Darn. Hello improvised stretching.
The start line was already packed when I got there so I didn't have enough space to really stretch. To make things worse, ten minutes before my race was supposed to start, I had this urge to pee. I immediately left the line and ran to the nearest toilet at Boni High only to find out that it was closed for maintenance. I then ran to the next toilet on the next block and saw a long line outside the men's toilet. After briefly considering peeing at a nearby bush in full view of the public, I decided to just go back in line and race with my complaining bladder. The thought of peeing while running was going through my mind up to a few seconds before the race started.
Then the good part. Ten seconds before I was about to race, I felt that energy that told me "this is it". I then forgot every bad thing that occurred up to that point in time and finally felt that I was really going to run. To race. Finally, I began to run. The weather was beautiful. The air was cool. The view of tall buildings lit by the warm morning sun was fantastic. I was breathing well and my legs weren't showing any desire to stop. I was experiencing a heightened sense of love for running.
I never stopped to walk, I never stopped for water, and I finished the race in less than an hour. I couldn't ask for more.
You can surely expect me to participate in more runs after this.
There are a few lessons I learned:
As an added bonus to participating in this race, I was entitled to a 50% discount for a pair of personalized and customized adidas running shoes as seen above. Since my old pair of running shoes have been with me for three years, it was simply time to get myself a new one. I love the fact that it has my name on it and I absolutely cannot wait to use it in my next run.
The hours leading to the race didn't go so well for me so I lowered my expectations in terms of my performance. To begin with, I slept at 1am the day of the race and woke up at 4.30am to begin hydration and some food intake. Even if I stayed at my sister's place at Fort Bonifacio, I still arrived at the race venue just 30 minutes before the 10km race started. I felt so disoriented when I got there since I had no idea where I should go. It didn't help that every one decided to wear the bright yellow singlet provided by adidas. When I finally managed to get to the very back of the 10km racers, I realized that I had not stretched yet. Darn. Hello improvised stretching.
The start line was already packed when I got there so I didn't have enough space to really stretch. To make things worse, ten minutes before my race was supposed to start, I had this urge to pee. I immediately left the line and ran to the nearest toilet at Boni High only to find out that it was closed for maintenance. I then ran to the next toilet on the next block and saw a long line outside the men's toilet. After briefly considering peeing at a nearby bush in full view of the public, I decided to just go back in line and race with my complaining bladder. The thought of peeing while running was going through my mind up to a few seconds before the race started.
Then the good part. Ten seconds before I was about to race, I felt that energy that told me "this is it". I then forgot every bad thing that occurred up to that point in time and finally felt that I was really going to run. To race. Finally, I began to run. The weather was beautiful. The air was cool. The view of tall buildings lit by the warm morning sun was fantastic. I was breathing well and my legs weren't showing any desire to stop. I was experiencing a heightened sense of love for running.
I never stopped to walk, I never stopped for water, and I finished the race in less than an hour. I couldn't ask for more.
You can surely expect me to participate in more runs after this.
There are a few lessons I learned:
- Don't start at the tail end of the racers. It's hard to overtake when there's so much people running. I think I could have finished with a better time but I'm not complaining.
- It's important to be aware and to listen to the runners around you to avoid and accidents or collisions. I only turned on my ipod during the last 5 kilometers when the crowd got thinner.
- Arrive early. More time to get a feel of the race would surely help.
- Enjoy the run.
As an added bonus to participating in this race, I was entitled to a 50% discount for a pair of personalized and customized adidas running shoes as seen above. Since my old pair of running shoes have been with me for three years, it was simply time to get myself a new one. I love the fact that it has my name on it and I absolutely cannot wait to use it in my next run.


1 comment:
viagra suppliers in the uk viagra 6 free samples herbal viagra reviews viagra oral recreational viagra use natural viagra substitutes viagra and alcohol viagra pill cialis v s viagra women's viagra free viagra in the uk viagra oral jelly splitting viagra buying viagra
Post a Comment