Filipino

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Goodbye To Twitter And Hello to Blogging (Again)

In the interest of returning to blogging, I deleted my Twitter account. I have realized that the spread of Facebook and Twitter use made me release random thoughts on the web on a daily basis rather than saving them for a decent blog post.

Well, that's my press release.

The real reason is that I've been feeling a little suffocated with the online world as of late. Think about it. I get up in the morning. Yawn. Stretch. Sit on my desk. Then log on to Facebook and Twitter. Even if I'm hungry and my mind is not functioning properly yet, I decide that going online is the best thing to do after I wake up. It's crazy. I spend so much time reading people's thoughts pasted on status messages and Twitter updates that I felt a little too connected to everyone.

So there, I have deleted my Twitter account.

I was this close to deleting my Facebook account too but thought it best not to do it. Yet. A good number of people connect with me only through Facebook and it would be stupid to cut off ties just like that because I like being connected to some of these people too. Some, meaning, the probably less than 50 people who actually matter in my 1000++ friends list.

Sad, no?

Anyway, it felt absolutely refreshing to separate myself from the huge social networking entity that is Twitter especially in this time and age when social networking sites are now featured in magazines, news shows, and are now even used to incite revolutions. Hello Middle East. Though I think the use of Facebook and Twitter as a tool for organizing a revolution is a little overrated and sensationalized in my opinion. That's another story.

So as my first post-Twitter blog post, I have decided to list down a few goals for myself for this year. It may be a little late considering we're already on the second trimester but what the heck.

First up, spend less. In fact, spend within my means. A look at my little excel file that I regularly keep which shows my monthly expenses gives me a heart attack. In this year alone, I've been spending double my monthly income for two months straight. What have I been spending on? Nothing significant. All selfish expenses that benefit only me and are not even remotely close to what can be considered as an investment. It's stupid. It's crazy. And it's getting out of hand. I am promising myself that April should be frugality month because if I can do that on my birthday month, I can do that for any month. Let's see how this goes.

Next is, get the body that I want. You may roll your eyes now. I know that this is a little narcissist but who cares. It's a valid and important goal for a man in his late twenties. It's now or never. If I can lose 50 lbs, run a marathon, and survive living in another country for three years, dammit, I can get that body that looks good in a plain white shirt. The one that doesn't require me to inhale in public to keep my stomach in. The one that gets second looks from strangers. The one that will make me look back 30 years from now and say, "Wow, was I hot or what?". I've started with this as I've been working out with my trainer for three weeks now. Eggzoyting.

More quality family time. My youngest brother is turning 25 in a month's time. 25! Gheez. That makes our family really old and mature if you ask me. We're not getting any younger and priorities are changing. Spending time with family should be a weekly, if not daily, habit.

Lastly, pray more. I know I don't necessarily come off as the religious type but I actually value my faith a lot. And if I make even a shallow observation of how my life has been these past few years, it was when I was having quality prayer time that I was the happiest. It was when my life had meaning and purpose. It's more apt now especially that it's Lent but hopefully I get to do manifest this the entire year.

I'm so glad to be back to blogging.

4 comments:

joei ♥ said...

Welcome back to the blogging world Ben! :)

chona said...

:-) Looking forward to your post-twitter entries Ben! Good thing I've read this...almost given in to temptation of starting a twitter account.

"Some, meaning, the probably less than 50 people who actually matter" exactly! A social scientist said that a person can maintain a significant relationship with only 50 people at a time, a meaningful connection to only 150 people at a time, so anyone beyond 150...he he.

Ben-Ariel said...

Hi Chona! Yikes, I still haven't found the time to practice with you guys. Nice to hear from you!

La Gringa Loca said...

I recently deleted my twitter account too, along with my myspace, google and yahoo profiles. I did it to clean up my online image for future employment. lol Employers do Social Media Checks before Criminal Ones Now. I seem to speak my mind, before thinking most of the time, on these sites and most of the time my views and opinions can be twisted to being Sexist. ( Most are anyway)

I didn't delete my facebook account, but made extreme privacy setting changes.