Filipino

Monday, July 07, 2008

Challenging The Greatest: Rafael Nadal

Okay. I can breathe now. After watching one of the best tennis matches I've ever seen, I can finally sit back, relax, and blog. On their third finals meeting at Wimbledon, Rafael Nadal beats Roger Federer in five sets in the longest Men's finals in Wimbledon history.


The match was absolutely fantastic. Federer loses the first two sets (previously unimaginable), then wins the next two after an exhilirating tie break on the fourth set that showed everyone what great tennis is all about. The fifth set saw Federer lead up until Nadal broke his serve and eventually win the championship. This match reminded me of the 2001 U.S. Open Quarterfinals between Sampras and Agassi, another legendary rivalry. But since this is Wimbledon and this was the Finals, this was much more special.


I'm a Nadal fan. Clearly. Roger is being touted as the greatest player in history and he's just 26. Players both fear and admire him. Excellent players like Hewitt and Roddick are rather unfortunate to be competing during Roger's time because they simply can't win against him in the big matches. And that's precisely the point why I support Nadal. In spite of Roger's status, Nadal is the only one with the clear ability to challenge him as world number 1. And I support those who challenge the greatest.


Now this mouthwatering Federer-Nadal rivalry has been taken to a whole new level with Nadal's win on Federer's favourite surface, grass. This, fresh after giving Federer his worst defeat in a Grand Slam finals in the French Open a month ago. You have to give credit to Federer, though. Even if there are talks about the start of his decline, he still reached the finals and that's not a bloody easy thing to do all the time. And though I am in full support of Nadal, I know that Roger will surpass Pete Sampras' record and will go down in history as the greatest ever. Heck, even Nadal called him the best ever during his speech right after winning Wimbledon. That's how much respect Roger gets.


*Shout out to Kai for keeping me company during those four heart-stopping hours.
*Vamos EspaƱa! First the Euros, now Wimbledon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You blog too much.

Write a book.

Ben-Ariel said...

KUYA:
Yeah, I should.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, thanks for dropping a note over at my blog. Yep, Jon C is kinda like a yoga rock star in my book. I guess I think because he's such a great teacher. I made a mess out my grade school, high school and even my college education because most of my teachers, well, suck. Maybe I had ADHD or something (some of my cousins have it) but I noticed I really pay attention when the teacher is a good one. Jon is a great one. So there :-)

Anyway, I sooo loved your take on the Federer-Nadal match which really has everyone talking about it to this day. I saw the '01 match between Sampras and Agassi and also couldn't help compare it to the latest Men's Wimbledon championship match. But unlike you, I am a Federer fan, completely and utterly. I do want him to break Sampras' record but after his defeat to Nadal--it won't be easy.

carlaintal said...

hi ben, remember in high school i was such a michael chang fan? but of course we both shared our worship of goran. haha :)

Ben-Ariel said...

MELANIE:
Hey! Yeah, I still have a hangover from Sunday's match. And the more I read the articles about it, the more it doesn't go away! Sigh. Great, great match. I feel so lucky that I was able to watch it live. :)

CARLA:
Yes!! And I also remember your mini-crush on Krajicek! Haha! :) Grabe, ang tagal na 'nun!