Filipino

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Goodbye Feelings

When people ask me how I feel now that I'm three days shy of my last day in the company and just ten days 'til my return to Manila, I don't give them one emotion or one answer.

It's a range of feelings, really. I'm excited to go home. I'm sad that I'm leaving. I feel nostalgic about the things I've done here. I feel bad that I wasn't able to do some stuff I wanted to do. I feel happy about the things I've experienced here. I feel worried about the changes in my life when I get back. I feel confident about myself with these changes. I'm anxious to know how I will be when I go home. I feel obligated to visit my former yoga teachers before leaving. I feel like I need to buy the stuff I've wanted to buy here because once I get back home, I'll be poor. At the same time I feel like I need to save money now and NOT buy anything because I know I'll be poor and unemployed when I get home. I feel excited to leave all the smelly people here. I feel confused about what I'll be doing after Malaysia. I feel excited about this uncertainty though. I think a lot about what job I'll be looking for. I feel like I generally have no regrets here in Malaysia except that I didn't buy a car when I got here. That would have changed a lot of things. I know I'll miss my friends here but I also know that we'll always see each other again.

Wow.

I swear I just typed that entire paragraph straight from my head. I think in short sentences.

Thanks to the three month notice period I had to give my company when I resigned, I managed to make some action items or a to-do list before I left Malaysia and a specific time frame to do them in an effort to reduce the "Sana I went to..", "What if I..", "Saying I didn't.." comments you'd always hear from someone who arrived home from somewhere after a long absence.

Right now, I'm currently on a mission to search for my former yoga teachers and attend their classes one last time (and take photos of them). I learned yoga here. The foundations of my practice were laid here in Malaysia and I owe it all to them, really. Ever since Yoga Zone closed shop last year, we all scattered to different places and the 10+ teachers whose classes I attended regularly were suddenly so difficult to find. I'm preparing a blog post on this soon enough (with scientific data, promise even I got shocked at myself).

Saying goodbye to what I will look back to as a very crucial and life-changing period of my life has been easy because I managed to treat it as a process rather than a sudden event that shocks you to your balls. Nobody wants those to be shocked right? I know that a little over a week from now, I'll be boarding a plane with a smile on my face because God gave me two years and ten months of great memories and greater experiences that I will cherish and remember for as long as I will live.

2 comments:

Avril said...

"I feel like I need to buy the stuff I've wanted to buy here because once I get back home, I'll be poor. At the same time I feel like I need to save money now and NOT buy anything because I know I'll be poor and unemployed when I get home."

I felt all of that when I resigned. Surprisingly though, it's become very easy to be unemployed, as long as you have some savings, don't out gimmicking too much, and have both shelter and food provided. Are you going to live with your family? Shouldn't be too hard, then. Spend your days reading, thinking and doing yoga. Bliss! :) See you soon!

LYN said...

Hey Ben--cheer up! you have new yoga friends here anticipating your arrival and waiting for you:) Basta, libre kita one class in yogamanila hehehe...and one round of coffee after ok? Ben-tot

lyn...